The Greatest Voice in Canadian Radio Passes, RIP Ted Tevan (1933-2011)

Posted on August 15th, 2011 by HisHighness in IUC:Entertainment, IUC:Exclusive

Being one of many aspiring journalists whose career was launched by Ted Tevan, when he graciously let me guest host his show several times back when I was 18 years old, I feel it’s imperative to put in perspective how lucky Montreal was to have a major leaguer like Ted. For years, Ted was pursued by media outlets across the U.S. but opted to stay in Montreal because of his unwavering love for the City of Champions. I have appeared on hundreds of major media outlets all over the world, including syndicated shows like Howard Stern, Geraldo Rivera, Opie and Anthony, Mancow Mueller, Entertainment Tonight and Jay Thomas. None of these media legends would have been able to outshine Ted during his heyday. By far, Ted and Stern are the most unique, charismatic and genuine radio personalities I have met. Arguably, Ted was further ahead of his time than Howard. Today, shock jocks are a dime a dozen. During Ted’s heyday he’d take risks that nobody else could dream of. He was pure radio gold!!!! If Ted would have gone to NYC, he would have played second fiddle to none. tevanMontreal was lucky to have this incredible talent on its airwaves for so many years. There will never be another Ted, a true media legend and humanitarian who embraced people from every culture and race. Unlike many media in Montreal, Ted did not have a racist or jealous bone in his body. Thank you for everything Ted.
RIP Theodore!!!!! You are gone but never forgotten. (CTV)

love to all,
Ian Halperin
NY Times No.1 Bestselling author

1. Up the Coast said on August 15th, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I’m sorry you lost a friend Ian. Back in the 70’s I had some dear friends in radio, it’s a really cool media and one of these days….when everything else goes to hell….we will all have our ear to a radio again ;)

2. Dream said on August 15th, 2011 at 2:03 pm

@Up the Coast:
    with ya there radio people are under-appreciated.
    sorry you losta friend also Ian. we can never have too many of those and one lost leaves a massive hole.

3. joanne said on August 15th, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Its tough losing friends, my sympathy to you and I hope your friend finds happiness on the other side.

4. Dream said on August 15th, 2011 at 2:50 pm

btw Ian congrats on being NY Times No.1 Bestselling author. now that’s an accomplishment.

5. selfffrighteouswhore said on August 15th, 2011 at 3:58 pm

it sounds like he was too good for the world as it is.
    he ran out of racetrack….RIP

6. liv4 said on August 15th, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I like the way you give credit where credit is due. He would like that you remembered him so fondly. I’m sorry for your loss of a friend so important in your life.

7. O'hara said on August 15th, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Ted was the best. He was the originator of sports talk radio.

8. jan said on August 15th, 2011 at 4:44 pm

So sorry as well.

And congrats on your accomplishment.

Jan

9. Kate said on August 15th, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Very nice tribute Ian, wonderful way to celebrate the life of a friend in passing. Hugs to you! xoxoxo

10. alif said on August 16th, 2011 at 1:51 am

He was lucky to have a friend such as yourself, Ian. My sympathies regarding your tough loss!

11. payal said on August 16th, 2011 at 9:40 am

All my respects Ian.

12. mark spires said on August 17th, 2011 at 11:24 am

I was a long time caller of Ted’s under the moniker of ” the lone stranger”. He would give me 10-30 minutes a call.I loved Ted.I met with him a few times. When I had a comedy variety radio show on CFMB,at the same time he had one there, he said of my show-it made him laugh! That was all I needed to know. Thank you Ted, we will all miss you.

13. Serge William said on August 27th, 2011 at 12:15 am

Bizarre la vie… et la mort aussi. Comme elle vient parfois de façon impromptue, saugrenue; dans des moments de mémoires par hasard surgissant du fonds des ans. Pourquoi justement ces jours-ci les souvenirs de ces retours du boulot en écoutant Ted Tevan divaguer, colérer, expliquer avec une feinte condescendance les choses du sport et de la vie… pourquoi ces souvenirs me sont-ils revenus en mémoire au point où hier même, alors que j’ignorais la mort de Mr Tevan, je prenais la peine d’exprimer à un autre animateur radio, francophone celui-là, que le meilleur, le champion toute catégorie était Ted Tevan.

Theodore, qui savait mieux que quiconque établir une intimité, un contact subtil, avec ou sans grandes envolées, simplement, avec des mots et des silences savamment dosés. Je n’oublierai jamais ces retours du travail, vers 22h00, 22h30 avec, le jeudi soir, un arrêt chez Lafleur pour 2 michigans 1 patate bien grasse que je dégustais en écoutant ce virtuose des ondes. Curieusement, les “callers” semblaient par moments avoir autant de talent que lui; on aurait dit qu’il insufflait (pas souvent mais parfois) son génie aux intervenants.

Ted, in the City of Champions, you were the champion.
    Toutes mes condoléances à sa famille et ses amis.

14. Ted Tevan is gone – Fagstein said on August 16th, 2011 at 1:48 pm