IUC Travel: Not Just Politicos – DC Is One of North America’s Finest Cultural Melting Pots – Bonus Clue!

Posted on March 29th, 2011 by HisHighness in IUC: Travel, IUC:Entertainment, IUC:Exclusive

jet_blueGetting There: Only one airline I fly is consistent in levels of service and consistency across all levels of its operation – JetBlue. JetBlue’s dedication of the airline’s staff to consistently deliver the best service levels in the industry put it miles above every other airline. Traveling JetBlue is also extremely price friendly. When I flew to DC the flight was one of the smoothest and friendliest I’ve ever had. JetBlue’s staff at all passenger touch points, including onboard, reservations, check-in and airport personnel are next to none. I guarantee a pleasant experience from the get-go if you choose to fly the best way today to define a modern airline, JetBlue.
Where to Stay: Donovan House is located in the heart of the city and understands the finer points of hospitality and luxury and offer unparalleled comfort. Donovan House is a modern boutique hotel, complete with sharply dressed concierges and stunning, modern rooms that offer service as a norm rather than an exception. The bathrooms in the rooms are immaculate, many have deep soaking tubs and overhead rain showerheads. No stone in this palace is left unturned. The rustic-chic restaurant next to the lobby, Zentan, is perhaps the best pan asian cuisine I’ve every tasted, and I’ve been to many. Celebrity chef Susur Lee’s sushi, sashimi and asian crudos are mouth watering, proving that Chef Lee is indeed at the forefront of chefs when it comes to modern asian cuisine. In the summer, Zentan serves up on Donovan’s popular rooftop. Get there early because space fills up quickly here. Donovan-House-
Sophisticated and slick, edgy but romantic, Washington’s physical and cultural landscape is shaped by a dynamic population, ever-ravenous for a bite of global culture. Forget all the hype about being such a political hodge-podge , Washington has become one of North America’s charming and vibrant metropolises. Although its frenetic pace can be quite tiresome, Washingtonians still keep their urban frenzy to a deliciously, amicable pace. For years, DC has largely revolved around grotto bars, warn-out pool tables and inexpensive decor. Today, the club scene has completely changed, offering glamour, dramatic lighting, bouncers and a hint of subterfuge. When I visited Lima Club in the heart of 14th Street’s electric club scene I thought I was in NYC instead of the nation’s capitol as suave looking urbanites danced the night away to amazing dance-y house tracks to inoffensive hip hop beats. Lima was designed with ornate chandeliers and intricate furnishings that proved every detail was well thought out from the ground up.
One cannot venture to DC without visiting Georgetown, where love to shop, eat and attend the myriad festivals that the city offers. You’ll even find them defending the city’s temperamental weather, and if you’ve ever experienced DC’s inclination to plummet from searing heat to drizzling rain in the space of an hour, you’ll understand how people can stand by their stomping ground with total unconditional love.
Bonus Clue: DC spring meltdown…cherry blossom’s apart!

1. jan said on March 29th, 2011 at 9:44 am

Does this have something to do with Adriana Lima?

2. jan said on March 29th, 2011 at 9:46 am

Oh skip it. She’s married. Just had a baby not long ago.

3. Jen Goodis said on March 29th, 2011 at 10:12 am

Ian, this is a most informative and excellent article. I love JetBlue and when I go to DC in a few weeks I will stay at Donovan because of this article. You have never let me down when it comes to restaurants or travel. Now, if only you can give us more clues on JP you’d make my day.

4. Tinkuy said on March 29th, 2011 at 10:21 am

Get it right:
    capitol = a building where the legislature meets
    capital = a town or city that is the seat of government
    The US CapitOl is where the Congress meets and is located in DC, the nation’s capitAl.

5. NOVA said on March 29th, 2011 at 10:39 am

I live right outside of D.C. and HH is correct. Although this may be a clue regarding JA – and Donovan … as in Tate Donovan?

6. anon said on March 29th, 2011 at 10:51 am

Totally agree on Jet Blue and Donovan House sounds nice.

Washington, DC welcomes the arrival of spring with the National Cherry Blossom Festival, a tradition that showcases the beautiful gift of 3,000 cherry trees that the city of Tokyo gave to our nation’s capital. The National Cherry Blossom Festival is an annual two-week event held this year March 26 – April 10, 2011.
    The transience of the blossoms, the extreme beauty and quick death, has often been associated with mortality.

My guess for DC spring meltdown…cherry blossom’s apart!
    This may be wishful thinking but the split (separation, apart) will be announced sometime between now and Apr 10.

7. rushdog said on March 29th, 2011 at 11:00 am

In very cold weather cherry blossoms which have bloomed risk damage; if they are still closed they usually survive the cold. The weather in this area has been unusually cold for this spring, even considering the usual ups and downs until June. It was 28 degrees this morning!

So does somebody’s extreme up/down “weather” threaten to damage another’s desire to bloom?

8. cls1976 said on March 29th, 2011 at 11:09 am

Love DC & Susur Lee – will have to try out his sushi so I can compare it to Morimoto’s next time I’m in town!

9. rushdog said on March 29th, 2011 at 11:33 am

I travelled JetBlue the last time I flew and it was excellent, very pleasant flights.

The unexpected cold weather threatens to affect a scheduled separation.

10. Reality Bites said on March 29th, 2011 at 11:39 am

Ian.. you create pure fiction and back it up by saying it is a secret break forever.. for realzies.. therefore the couple can still be seen together and you can still claim your BS. No one believes that Jen would ever take back Brad and play step mommy to 6 kids he shares with Jolie and have to have Jolie an active part of her life forever. A good portion of fans of Jen and Brad would recoil in horror. And now your big clue is clearly 99% paid ad shilling for Jet Blue, Donovan House and some club. How stupid do you think your little clue solver minions are to put up with your fiction much longer? You need hits and only Brangie brings um to you.. so you have to keep spinning tales otherwise your site is dead. Good luck to you when they actually do break up.. you will have lost your bread and butter.

11. lookyloo said on March 29th, 2011 at 11:52 am

@Reality Bites:
    LOL…..I thought this was an advertisement and not a clue. I just figured Ian gets some comped rooms. food and drink for doing a review on his website. I travel to DC several times a year – it’s normally just day trips but when I stay over, I’ll remember the name Donovan House and look them up.

Maybe the only clue in this one is the last line tagged “Bonus Clue:”…..

12. whatever said on March 29th, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Bonus Clue: DC spring meltdown…cherry blossom’s apart!

Well Brad has his movie A tree of Life due to be shown at Cannes…so maybe he is going there by himself, w/o Jolie….and that is going to bring a lot of speculation to a “break up”.

Also, he has to do the premiere rounds….for the same movie.

Jolie has Kung Fu Panda 2 coming out in May…she will be busy with her own premieres.

It will be interesting to see if they show up together at any of these premieres…

Maybe that is what IAN means…..cherry blossom’s apart. Meaning Pitt and Jolie will not be out walking red carpets together…red is the color of cherries…

13. rushdog said on March 29th, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Ningunas ilusiones, ninguanas sorpresas, ningun problema. iSolo divertirse!!!!

14. rushdog said on March 29th, 2011 at 12:50 pm

@whatever:
    You may be correct on this—a cooling down and then apart during May promotions. Makes sense.

15. louisianagurl said on March 29th, 2011 at 1:27 pm

HH…please onward with the BIG clue…you are killin me here! :-)

16. louisianagurl said on March 29th, 2011 at 1:34 pm

why is cherry blossom’s stated as a possessive?? Anyone?

17. anon said on March 29th, 2011 at 1:40 pm

@rushdog:
    I know some people say that any PR is good PR but in this case if he is in Cannes alone and it fuels speculation I would think it would totally overshadow the movie. From a business standpoint this is the one thing I would not want to happen and if I was the producer releasing this movie I’d say get it out before and then ask the media to focus on the movie. There’s just too much financial risk if you don’t do that.

Then again, I’m not in the movie PR business.

18. anon said on March 29th, 2011 at 1:43 pm

@louisianagurl:
    I actually thought of that and that’s why I looked at the apart as a verb which is why I came up that they will be separated during the festival which ends Apr 10. Meaning publicly separated because we already know they are privately separated. Don’t know if I’m right but I did consider it.

19. whatever said on March 29th, 2011 at 2:08 pm

@anon:

Even if Brangelina attends Cannes….they ALWAYS over-shadow the movie or Cannes or whatever they show up for…its like a FREAK show. What will she wear? etc. Last time Jolie was front and center in the pictures…where she shouldn’t of been. It should of only been for the actors/actresses of the Inglorious Basterds cast..but of course…Jolie has to get her mug in there….This year, if he shows up alone, it’s going to send the media into a frenzy and instead of them talking about the film, they will be talking about why it is SHE isn’t there with him….

So it’s going to be a media frenzy either way.

20. rushdog said on March 29th, 2011 at 3:48 pm

@anon:
    I agree with what you’re saying. I’m just not looking for a public announcement clue anymore. So many times I’ve thought “now is a good time” and nope. From a PR perspective I would think to be over/done by the end of April would be the best, let the press get it out of their system. Don’t know the KFP release schedule, but if they both have obligations it can be explained, like imo should have been done in May ‘09 when there was a perfect excuse for her not to be there (filming, children). Not ideal, but probably doable. I think ‘whatever’ is correct too, they’ll be a frenzy no matter what. BP’s always had that around him and I’ve never understood that personally. Never found him attractive, just thought he was a pretty boy at one time. Something to watch for in the coming weeks.
    Hey, I wonder if Sean and Scarlett will attend, lol. Is it US mag (not reallly sure if that’s right) proclaiming their togetherness? Maybe they can provide a little distraction, ha!

21. sparklingtwinkle said on March 29th, 2011 at 4:21 pm

@hrh ian- i’m a big fan of you, but i’m finding the clues quite difficult lately, just want to be honest with you. I’m quite confused to the relation to brangiston here. I’m hoping that you listen to this fan and try to help us solve it!

22. Tamara said on March 29th, 2011 at 4:42 pm

In Washington, the National Cherry Blossom Festival is celebrated annually to commemorate the 1912 gift to the city of Washington D.C. of 3,000 cherry trees from Mayor Yukio Ozaki of Tokyo to enhance the growing friendship between the United States and Japan.

Does this mean a growing friendship between two people is now growing apart?

23. Up the Coast said on March 29th, 2011 at 4:50 pm

A Jet Blue steward also had a meltdown. He was a drama queen, just like joLIE is. Ian is saying that Jet Blue is doing very well….and now so is Brad, without joLIE? And now Brad is flying the friendly skies of Jennifer One?

24. rushdog said on March 29th, 2011 at 5:03 pm

@Up the Coast:
    Clever UTC!

25. Kate said on March 29th, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I love the Cherry Blossom Festival. Lovely time to be in D.C. Bless Japan , another quake. Poor people.

26. Togi said on March 29th, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I have been wondering if there is any connection between JetBlue (or Blue Jet) and Jennifer One (pink jet). Also, the pink jet was flying high over mountains. Now, this blue jet is coming in for a landing.@Up the Coast:

27. Togi said on March 29th, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Just think it’s more than coincidence that there are two “jet” pictures back to back, headed in the same direction. But one is Blue (boy) and one is Pink (girl). I dunno. All these riddles are blending together for me.@Togi:

28. Togi said on March 29th, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Tam, there is so much symbolism that goes with the cherry blossom! LOL. I’m pretty sure HRH’s meaning is somewhere in the “blip” you found. Look wwaaayyyyy down at the bottom of the page, where it talks about China’s meaning of the blossom. It’s about female domination and sexuality. LOLf @Tamara:

29. HEDOESNTCARE said on March 29th, 2011 at 5:42 pm

@Tinkuy:
    Hi there Tinkuy how ya been? Or should I call you “James” HAHAHAHA! Some say I am scared someone here is getting close to the truth..Really HAHAHAHAHA! As if anything on here is truth. Just Ian’s comedy act which he is a genius at. I Love Ian and he knows this, but he also knows his followers think I am a hater of him, NOPE! It is all about the game he plays that makes me HAHAHAHAHA over and over! Love ya Ian!

@Togi:
    Hi Togi, I really enjoy posting with you and hope all is well on your end! :) Did you ever get a chance to check out the sphynx cats. Google only images and you will find lots of cute faces! :)
    I think you are very sweet and don’t judge me by others opinions! It shows exactly what kind of person you are….very kind and friendly! :)

30. Tetta said on March 29th, 2011 at 6:08 pm

@ Togi

Don´t know what “blip” Tam found but I think Cherry Blossom´s apart has something to do with Angelinas and Jenny Shimizus relation. The cherry trees are a gift from Japan. JS also has a japaneese connection.

31. Togi said on March 29th, 2011 at 6:45 pm

@Tetta: Here’s part of the “blip” I referred to. The Meaning of the Cherry Blossom in Japan
    In Japan, cherry trees, called “sakura,” and cherry blossom flowers themselves are held in the highest esteem. For thousands of years, the Japanese people have celebrated hanami annually. Hanami is basically parties organized to view blossoming cherry trees.
    Originally, the purpose of hanami excursions was to ponder the transient nature of life, as the cherry blossom blooming season is so short. This concept ties in with Buddhist thinking about the nature of life. However, today, these parties are more about having fun and eating food while enjoying the beauty of the cherry blossoms than pondering deep thoughts.
    The cherry blossom was also important to the samurai culture of Japan. Like cherry blossoms, samurai expected to have short lives. The cherry blossom also represented drops of blood.
    The connection between warrior and cherry blossoms carried forward to World War II. Cherry blossoms were associated the kamikaze suicide flyers who sacrificed themselves during war actions.
    Today, cherry blossoms are connected to innocence, spring and simplicity.
    The Meaning of the Cherry Blossom in China
    Cherry blossoms have almost a diametrically opposed meaning in China than the blossoms have in Japan. In China, the cherry blossom is associated with women’s dominance and beauty as well as feminine sexuality.

@HEDOESNTCARE: Well hello, there. Haven’t seen you ’round these parts for awhile! LOL. Yep, I most certainly DID Google those funny little Sphynx cats. While I am by far more familiar with cats having hair, I can appreciate the oddity of the “hairless” version! LOL. I have a stumpy Manx (with virtually no tail) and two Japanese Bobtails, with bunny-bob tails. Everyone who comes to our house asks the same question: What happened to their tails? Were they born like that? DOH! So what would a difference would a mere lack of hair make? It would make a great conversation piece. Friend: What happened to his/her hair? Was he/she born that way? Me: Oh no, she wasn’t born that way. I wax her every other Saturday night. Just for entertainment.

And thank you for the kind words, HDC. I don’t think anyone likes to be judged by their opinions. I just TRY to treat people the way I would like them to treat me. I’m pretty sure a VERY WISE TEACHER once instructed those he taught the very same thing! LOL “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” Seems pretty basic to me! hahahah

32. WCKitty said on March 29th, 2011 at 7:34 pm

@Togi:
    So your cat becomes fur-less and you become a scratched-up bloody mess for fun on Saturday nights? LOL (yes I know you weren’t serious as you love your kitties!). :)

33. JLB said on March 29th, 2011 at 8:22 pm

@rushdog: Sean and Scarlett attended Reese’s wedding together.

34. Togi said on March 29th, 2011 at 9:18 pm

@WCKitty:LOL Yes, I was TOTALLY kidding! haa haaa. I’m afraid my animals are first-class citizens in my household. Even the DOGS! Baaa haaa haaa. We’re just one big, happy family.

35. HEDOESNTCARE said on March 29th, 2011 at 10:36 pm

@Togi:
    I just came home from a lovely 10 day vacation! Loved it :) Glad you liked the cats. They are so interesting, most people think they are ugly, but what do they know!

36. elephant said on March 29th, 2011 at 11:31 pm

An AD??!!!! REALLY?! All this is leading up to an ad for products?? Sorry, well, no – I am not sorry – but you should be Ian. This is just pathetic. Yeah, I won’t be back and further more, won’t be using any of the airlines so shamelessly promoted here at the expense of others. Ian you are lame.

37. elephant said on March 29th, 2011 at 11:33 pm

@elephant:
    JMO

38. jan said on March 29th, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Well, th-th-th-th-th-that’s all folks.

39. olddominiongirl said on March 29th, 2011 at 11:54 pm

New to this site and had to comment on the DC post. I’m a native of DC and must “second” everything that Ian said about my wonderful city. It’s a very cosmopolitan, beautiful city, particularly in the Springtime. May is probably the best time to visit, before the summer heat is upon us. So much to do that you’ll never fit it all in with a short visit. And most of the museums and monuments are free! The people are friendly, the pace is very manageable. Lots of young singles living in the city now too. If you ever get a chance to visit, take it, you won’t be sorry. Having said all that, the juxtaposition of the latest two posts with references to planes is not a coincidence, I think. And the use of blue and pink is part of the overall message too. Just can’t put it all together.

40. liv4 said on March 29th, 2011 at 11:55 pm

@elephant:I wondered about traveling stories too but a long-time poster told me Ian does it for fun, not advertisement, sort of if you head that direction these are great placed to stay and done. I’ve already looked up Donovan House just out of curiosity and it looks amazing.

41. PigIH said on March 30th, 2011 at 1:30 am

@liv4:

YOU CAN”T BE Serious!!! What else is Ian doing for money? It is amazing how people are willing to be gulled in the name of Hating Angelina Jolie 24/7.

42. Togi said on March 30th, 2011 at 3:32 am

A 10-day vacation??? Ahhh. GOOD FOR YOU! Hopefully you went somewhere nice and warm and sunny and relaxing! Ahhh. I can hear the Mexican Riviera calling my name as I type! LOL. Welcome home. As you can see, everything here is just as you left it 10 days ago! And we’re still discussing the SAME things! Haa haa. Dang. I think I had better spend my spare time searching for deals on vacation packages! Oy!@HEDOESNTCARE:

43. Sandy said on March 30th, 2011 at 7:53 am

Just a guess, but what if this advertisment is an analogy — Brad is Jet Blue, Jen is Donavan House and Lima is the new baby. Also the state of Brad and Angie’s reltionship is like Washington, DC.’s weather — totally tempermental.

44. Tetta said on March 30th, 2011 at 8:20 am

@sandy “Lima” has only been discussed in the two first comments. I´ve forgot it. Lima is the capitol of Peru. Then I start to think about Angelinas 7th taatoo. It´s hard to put Lima in place, it´s very odd compared to Jet Blue and Donovan House.

45. Tamara said on March 30th, 2011 at 8:20 am

Someone probably already mentioned this but the two planes look alike – so the Washington post must align with the Cougartown underneath it – the planes look the same minus the pink color and writing.

46. rushdog said on March 30th, 2011 at 8:27 am

@Togi:
    @Tamara:
    I think you’re both onto something regarding the airplanes, not just a coincidence that there are two back to back, one pink and one blue going in the same direction. Is that because they’re in sync or one is following/chasing the other? Hmmm…both are flying through blue skies, smoothing sailing. The first is definitely JA, but who is the second? Given the history of the clue posts on here my money’s on BP. And Sandy could be right about the “weather” scenario being tempermental. If this scenario is the case how could it be anything but at this time.

47. rushdog said on March 30th, 2011 at 8:30 am

I found this blog two years ago. Ian has been writing travel posts periodically since I’ve been reading. I could care less if he’s advertising or gets paid for it. That doesn’t affect my choice to read/post here.

48. Togi said on March 30th, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Soooo true, rushdog. Not only that, but Ian TOLD US he was going to be writing a travel post before he did so. Imagine that! LOL
    @rushdog:

49. Togi said on March 30th, 2011 at 2:29 pm

And looky, looky…. yet ANOTHER aircraft post. Too funny.@rushdog:

50. Agent Scully said on March 31st, 2011 at 5:06 am

This write-up is about DC, but there is a distinctly Asian undertone to it. The word ‘Asian’ is mentioned 3 times. Sushi, cherry blossoms, (and unfortunately) meltdown could all refer to Japan.

Isn’t that Hong Kong in the picture with the Jet Blue plane?

I think this entry has something to do with AJ (cultural melting pot, internationalism)… so how goes Asia fit in? Something to do with her new tattoo? Or is she moving to Cambodia (doesn’t she have citizenship there)?