RIP Tony Curtis 1925-2010

Posted on September 30th, 2010 by HisHighness in IUC:Bits, IUC:Entertainment

tony_curtis_01A tailor’s son who became a movie heartthrob and then a respected actor. Tony broke many barriers in the Golden Age of Hollywood. RIP Bernard Schwartz! (WA Today)

1. Ange said on September 30th, 2010 at 10:56 am

RIP, he lived to a good age though, 85. I just finished reading your Michael Jackson book, as well as “Hollywood Undercover”, I think it’s called, and I really enjoyed both, zipped through ‘em in a sitting. Very readable style you have.

2. alif said on September 30th, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Not a favorite of mine; but just the same, R.I.P.

3. Patty Anne said on September 30th, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Those old time movie stars had such grand style. I remember as a child my mother taking me to the theater on Saturday afternoon shopping trips. How I looked forward to seeing the layers of colorful gauzy material pulling back from the screen as the MGM Lion would roar! Those stars never let us down, we were thoroughly entertained for our money. Gone are the days of innocence.

4. alif said on September 30th, 2010 at 7:10 pm

OT: The National Enquirer seems to be boosting Angelina Jolie and Tom Cruise at every turn. They’re even trying to have the public believe that Katie is keeping Tom from being a daddy, again.
    It headlines AJ as writing her memoir to the tune of $20 mil! And we know how truthful she’s going to be.
    Still, miracles do happen!
    Lies are being fed the public by the media at a constant rate! It’s no wonder the world is so confused!

5. Up the Coast said on September 30th, 2010 at 7:39 pm

@alif:
    I agree……We’ve stepped through the looking glass. What’s right is wrong, what’s up is down. Two wrongs make it right. :(

6. alif said on September 30th, 2010 at 11:33 pm

@Up the Coast:
    Great observation. Many thanks for this!
    Also, “1984″ comes to mind. And “The Rise and Fall of The Third Reich”.

7. Iona said on September 30th, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Tony Curtis – one of my favorites actors of all time. Some Like It Hot, The Defiant Ones…. He’s in the company of many wonderful actors without an Oscar. Incredibly talented, handsome, charismatic man!

8. Kate said on September 30th, 2010 at 11:57 pm

Oh well look at the bright side of things Alif, they used the picture of her looking like the Grim Reaper on that story about the book deal. That should scare a few off. lol

Tony Curtis was such a handsome man. 85 is so young today, so many are still active at that age. Look at Carter, he is all over the place. RIP Mr. Tony Curtis. This obits just make me sad. Too many.

9. SparklingTwinkle said on October 1st, 2010 at 1:12 pm

RIP to another vintage actor with true skill.

My thoughts are with his family and friends

10. alif said on October 1st, 2010 at 11:03 pm

@Kate:
    Tony Curtis sort of revised his personal history for the sake of his imagery.
    He once angrily proclaimed that “kissing Marilyn Monroe, was like kissing Hitler!”
    It made headlines all over America. So having read that, producer, David Merrick declared that “Tony Curtis’ best performance was as a woman, in ‘Some Like It Hot!’”
    Later in life, he, Curtis, was reported as saying he had had a steamy affair with her, but that Monroe aborted his child. If true, perhaps that was the reason for his anger.
    Also, he had our sympathy when he lost his son, Nicholas, who died so young!

Incidentally, I met two elder woman at a gathering. One didn’t know about the other. Now, is this coincidence, or what! One confided to me that she had gone to high school with Janet Leigh. This, after she asked if I watched old movies, and I replied in the affirmative. I also said I have an autographed photo of Janet Leigh from a long time ago.
    The other woman is Jewish. She came up to me to talk. We talked about New York, and Brooklyn. She mentioned that she had gone to school with Bernie Schwartz, who is now known as Tony Curtis.
    And Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh were once married to each other.
    But this is par for the course. I meet a lot of people who have stories about the famous people they, or their friends, knew.