IUC Fashion: Clooney vs. Pitt

Posted on October 5th, 2009 by Erin H in IUC:Entertainment, IUC:Exclusive, IUC:Fashion

clooney and pittThough we are indeed in the 21st century, there is still something to be said for Rock Hudson’s commitment to the closet. He wanted no femininity to slip through the cracks of his stalwart rough and tumble persona and he was not going to let his true sexual orientation put a pall on his public appearance. Rock Hudson was sexy because he clung to his manhood as if it was his only thing of value; to lose it would render him invisible in Hollywood — a world that shuts down — literally — when there is nothing to see.

Though George Clooney may or may not be gay — I haven’t heard evidence to the contrary — the A-list celebrity is a man through and through. This is not to say that the salt and pepper symbol of pure manhood tramples on the souls of heartsick women as they lie pathetically at his feet begging him to stay until he moves onto the next ill-advised woman. But, if this is in fact Mr. Clooney’s behavior, he gives the public no idea that this is the case. He is a perfect man precisely because he always presents himself at face — and what a face that is — value. Mr. Clooney keeps himself thankfully concaled: he is an old-school charmer as sweet-talking as Bogey, as smooth as Carey Grant, and as refreshingly impetuous as Gary Cooper.

But since Brad Pitt has become Angelina’s teetering mule, carting around a brood of multiethnic infants and tots like some kind of daycare worker, the blond-haired, cherry lipped, apple bottomed specimen has shown the public too many dripping entrails to be considered sexy. Noone wants to see a celebrity male’s insides, especially when we know the inner self is a mangled, shrinking version of its original gloriousness. Poor Brad Pitt has lost so much since his debut appearance in Thelma and Louise — jumping on the bed, blow-dryer in hand, cut muscles shamelessly and totally his. Like the movie, as in his life at the time, he owned nothing but himself, he had to steal to from poor Louise to survive. Now, Brad Pitt has no control over his life, he walks around following at the hip of Angelina, faceless, without masculinity and a shadow of his former self.

Brad Pitt should have driven off the cliff with Thelma and Louise, an immortal man, a real man, he would have been.
(IUC Fashion Editor Erin Hershberg)

1. Tamara said on October 5th, 2009 at 8:55 am

Ms Agatha brought this article to our attention and I thought this would be a good “On Topic” article in which to share it:

This is commentary from a poster in US Magazine (it got pasted on FF ). It is a great read.

If Jolie and Pitt were not who they are, their parenting strategies would simply be called child exploitation and neglect. With her horrid psychiatric and substance abuse history, Ms. Jolie would have significant difficulty adopting in the USA, a country she apparently feels is only good enough to buy tickets to her “films. Children do not benefit from silly platitudes and photo-ops. Has anyone noticed the impoverished content of the silly sophmoric sound bites she chirps? Angelina Jolie and the testiclularly challenged Brad Pitt have objectified their children. These “do-gooders” are narcissistic, self-involved, insensitive, shallow, opportunistic robots. Angelina Jolie is one of the most borderline and manipulative adrenaline junkies I have ever seen. She can’t seem to be satisfied with any stable zip code or demographic. And Brad is a silly chameleon. He has become a peripheral, ancillary national bafoon.

Thc chaotic, rootless, inconsistent, and unstructured circus-like life these children are leading is deeply disturbing. If the precious children are not out being used to support an image or photoshopped, they are being cloistered in some large, temporary, vacuous domicle. No stable playmates, predictability, surroundings, or even time zone. Unfortunately, it is doubtful that Ms. Jolie’s compulsive child collecting and need for media attention and aggrandisement will be appeased any time soon. Brad Pitt apparently is suffering from some type of presenile dementia, milk toast syndrome, or complex combination of both. Mrs. Doubtfire looks more effective than Mr. Pitt does these days. Optimally, Jolie’s next compulsive life phase will involve rescuing some type of endangered species so that there will be minimal damage to the human beings she steps over with such dismissal and entitlement. “

2. Susanna said on October 5th, 2009 at 8:59 am

I have not been back to this site for a while…and I must say, I am disgusted at the many articles now kissing the a$$ of Angie on this site. WHAT GIVES IAN?

3. ladybert62 said on October 5th, 2009 at 9:49 am

Dear Fashion Editor at IUC: You talk more about morality than you do fashion.

4. Ms Agatha said on October 5th, 2009 at 9:53 am

Thank you to the writer of this article ! … It’s a shame that none of the tabloids or news outlets have come up with anything slightly as well written as this article…. It needs to be shared with everyone and put on all blogs and commentary blogs ! Let’s do it ! Thanks again writer for your commentary… you said what all of us have been thinking for a long time now…

5. Ms Agatha said on October 5th, 2009 at 9:54 am

@Ms Agatha:
    @Tamara:
    I am referring of course to the US Magazine Poster !!!! LOL

6. adieBelle said on October 5th, 2009 at 11:14 am

Ian has been told he HAS to kiss booty, or he will be sued.

7. confused said on October 5th, 2009 at 2:17 pm

@ladybert62:
    Explain what you mean by morality, if you think this article is about morality then perhaps you should visit a philosophy class or two.

Did you read Erin’s last post…that was the furthest discussion from anything on morality that I’ve ever seen. In other words, What the F are you talking about?

8. jan/sa said on October 5th, 2009 at 3:15 pm

well peewee was never everybodies sexiest man alive to me he was always and non personality insipid male. it was always the women in his life that made him look good now he has a fake he/she that cannot make up her mind what she is and has about as much dress sense and half a brai(between the two of them share a brain cell. jmo) and he now appears as a balless man and a sperm donor as well as the house husband who trails along with the one who wears the pants in the house and is at the beck and call of her cliking fingers. so he is not only fugly and not sexy but a slobby pensioner with dementia as well. poor bradly you should have stayed single and unhampered without a circus of a world kiddy army. jmo

9. mooki said on October 5th, 2009 at 4:14 pm

lmfao @ E! using a pic of Kirstie the Hutt from ‘05. She’s so delusional….

10. ladybert62 said on October 5th, 2009 at 4:28 pm

@confused:
    Hi confused – you are right – I probably should go back to a philosophy class! This article just seemed to me not to be about fashion but about the lifestyles of the two actors she discusses – thats why I mentioned morality – it seemed to me to be about the actors moral choices in life and not about the clothes they wear! :D

11. mooki said on October 5th, 2009 at 5:31 pm

“The Supreme Court today declined to take the case of a Jewish man who wants to deduct the cost of his kids’ Orthodox education as a religious expense, just like Scientologists get to deduct the cost of “auditing.”

Politico’s Josh Gerstein caught the news in the list of appeals that the Court declined to hear released this morning. When the Church of Scientology finally settled with the IRS in 1993 after years of litigation and black-bag operations conducted by the church against the IRS and FBI over the issue of whether Scientology was a proper religion—and thus qualified for tax-exempt status—the IRS agreed to let Scientologists deduct the cost of “auditing” from their taxes. Other poor saps in less litigious cults don’t get similar allowances from the IRS, so Michael Sklar of Los Angeles sued to get the same standard applied to his own expenses for the religious education of his children.

Sklar lost in tax court and again on appeal, and today’s decision by the Court ends his 15-year legal battle. Gerstein says the commitment in the 1993 settlement that allowed the deduction expired in 1999, and its not clear whether the IRS still lets Scientologists get audited tax-free. Anyway—if you pay thousands of dollars to send your kid to a yeshiva, you have to pay taxes on that. If you pay thousands of dollars to have them hold metal cans attached to a battery and tell lies about their past lives on distant planets? Eh, the feds might cut you a break. Why not?”

this shows how truly wretched, messed up, and perverted the Cult of $cientology is

12. ladybert62 said on October 5th, 2009 at 5:49 pm

@mooki:
    Hi mooki – another interesting article about the evil cult COS! Thanks for sharing. :P

13. Tamara said on October 5th, 2009 at 6:21 pm

@confused:
    I guess you mean being gay has nothing to do with morality and just a matter of being born that way, huh? But now Im confused, what does that have to do with a philosophy class?

14. Ms Agatha said on October 5th, 2009 at 6:46 pm

@Tamara:

The philosophy classes probably had the best student parties …..hahaha

15. Ms Agatha said on October 5th, 2009 at 6:50 pm

@Tamara:
    Did you know that a philosophy student has an existential crisis every 4 months ? Time to ask parents for financial support again …..lol

16. Alif said on October 5th, 2009 at 7:40 pm

I’ll address my post to the thread as Part A, and to the US article as Part B. I hope it simplifies things.

Part A. I am total agreement with this, except for the concluding statement.
    I think George Clooney is the best he can be! He obviously is from a show biz family, (his dad was a singer, and his aunt was the singer/actress, Rosemary Clooney. Another aunt, Betty Clooney also sang) and knows his way around.

I grew up in rugged country, “where men were men!” I did see the occasional “bromance”; and they were very, very discreet.
    Saw it as well, among certain servicemen. It worked better if they could share housing off base.

I wouldn’t have pegged GC as gay. At least not the stereotypical gay; i.e. the flamboyant type.
    And I was suspicious about BP when I saw he was getting meaty roles despite his limited talent. Just knew that there were many out there who should have gotten those parts. Then I noticed he started to improve and I concluded he was getting “on the job training”. Also, I read that many superstars got their start by using their looks to sell themselves. So he was not unique regarding his rise.

When I saw GP and BP together, there seemed to be an electricty between them. That is not an everyday occurrence. They just seemed, as some might say, “made for each other”.

Rock Hudson did have his support group. It was tight knit. And Hwd kept his secret.
    During the earlier Hollywood periods, there were many actors who were bi. They also managed to keep their public from knowing. And it was more common than we think, ( if we ever do think about earlier stars.)
    And it was ever so, from the beginning when thespians first started to act.
    There’s a line in “Death of a Salesman”. It says, “It comes with the territory!”

Part B.
    Very true!
    It is a total mess! Hope Brangie can straighten it out. At least for the sake of the children. As the song says, “It’s gonna take a lot of love!”

17. Astro said on October 5th, 2009 at 9:08 pm

IF THERE was ever any doubt that Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt are staying together, this family snap is sure to put an end to it.

18. mslewis said on October 5th, 2009 at 11:34 pm

Oh!! Oh, Erin, that was harsh!! Poor Brad. He’s probably crying now because of the bad things you said about him. Boo hoo!! And, I’ve known George Clooney since he was a little boy and he is definitely NOT gay!! (I don’t know him personally. We are from the same town.)

Of course you do realize “Thelma & Louise” was 25 years ago?? And those “multiethnic” kids he totes around are HIS kids? Right? Okay. Just thought I would throw that out there. And, Brad is still an A-List actor with a major hit movie in theatres now, right? (Unlike George who hasn’t had a hit movie, without Brad Pitt in it, for years!!! Check it out. Only the “Ocean” movies have made money.)

Also, it should be “no one” not “noone” because noone is not a word. Poor writing. Very poor.

19. mslewis said on October 5th, 2009 at 11:42 pm

@Alif: George Clooney’s father was NOT a singer, he was a news anchorman, first in Cincinnati and then in Los Angeles; he has ONE aunt, the late Rosemary Clooney who was a singer/actress. That is the extent of his show business family. When George came out to Hollywood, he stayed with his aunt and her children (five, one of whom is Miguel Ferrer, an actor).

20. mslewis said on October 5th, 2009 at 11:43 pm

P.S.: George’s father’s name is Nick.

21. Alif said on October 6th, 2009 at 1:42 am

@mslewis:
    George Clooney’s dad was a singer. He recorded for a subsidiary of MERCURY RECORDS.
    George Clooney’s aunt, Betty Clooney sang with The Clooney Sisters, back in the ’40’s.

P.S. George Clooney’s father recorded under the name, Nick Noble.

22. Alif said on October 6th, 2009 at 1:48 am

Much of the credit for the success of “Inglorious Basterds” goes to Quentin Tarantino. Among the people I’ve personally heard talk about the movie, they cited the director as the source of their interest. The same can be said of much of the reviewers comments.

The Los Angeles Times ran a big article about QT when the movie came out. Later, there was a smaller one quoting about some Jews not caring for the fun and games aspect of the story.

23. Alif said on October 6th, 2009 at 2:13 am

@Alif:
    Will have to do further research to be absolutely sure about Nick Clooney as Nick Noble. There are other Nick Nobles in the entertainment world.

I’m relying on memory. I’m quite sure I read that Nick Clooney recorded as Nick Noble. If that report was wrong, I’ll find out. Nick Clooney has been hosting pop oldies shows on PBS.TV.
    If I am wrong, I’ll post it. I’m very sure it was printed at one time.

24. jan/sa said on October 6th, 2009 at 5:12 am

astro. looking happy and having happy family photo ops is one thing but lots of people put on happy faces to SAVE FACE. yes they should stay together happy or not because of the kids they collected into this circus. i knew a couple that got divorced and nobody knew until after the divorce and where highly shocked because they thought they where the happiest and most suited couple with 2 kids one was 3 months old at the divorce, so donn’t judge thinks by the outside looking in. i hope for your sake and the loons that have so much invested in this couple they do stay together but never say never and i give them 5 years more before the divorce, by then nobody would care as they are good to disgust and keep you laughting with the soapy that they have made of their life so maybe they will be like the bold and the beautifull and just keep on wrecking. jmo

25. Tidbit said on October 6th, 2009 at 8:07 pm

Well, I lived near Brad Pitt’s hometown in MO for over ten years and he is definitely not gay. No one ever had anything bad to say about him.
    I think Ian just wants more hits so he is starting to hit the bottom of the barrel and making insinuations in order to get more people posting.

26. stupid ian said on October 7th, 2009 at 11:52 am

WHAT A PIECE OF RACIST CRAP YOU ARE. A DAYCARE WORKER, WTF? HIS OWN CHILDREN (ALL 6) IS ALSO HIS RESPONSIBILITY. The only ball and chain I have seen was jen, he was so miserable. Ian you’ve been stuck up mj dead a** for three months I’m thinking you have brain damage. If you think jen is so great she’s single and ready………

27. Alif said on October 8th, 2009 at 6:07 pm

@Alif:
    Still trying re: Nick Clooney as singer Nick Noble, or just as a singer. Trying to get to show biz sources.

One can live all their lives within a household, even. Then son or daughter “comes out” to Mom/Mum and Pop. Everything goes topsy-turvy in some cases.
    I went to a boys’ school. ONLY long after I grew up did I find out there was homosexual activity then. All the guys named were masculine and girl-crazy!

28. seabee said on October 11th, 2009 at 7:25 am

Feel a little bad for Brad by agree about Angelina – she is a drug addicted devil. I know people who knew her pre-Brad and they say she was a freak. But she is a good actress – in real life. I doubt Brad knew what he was in for when he dumped his insecure, self-involved first wife for the persona Angelina portrayed for him on the Mr. Mrs. Smith set. A sweet, sexy, beautiful woman devoted to her adopted son. As neither seem particularly bright, Brad and Jen did not stand a chance against Angelina Jolie. Throw in thinking with his penis, Brad was a goner. How long before he realized his cataclysmic mistake? Maybe when Angelina got fertility treatments a year after her fourth child was born.

29. Alif said on October 23rd, 2009 at 3:51 pm

@Alif:
    Try as I might, I could not get it one hundred percent. All I got was from the entertainer, Peter Marshall, who co-hosted a pop special with Nick Clooney on PBS.
    But it came thru his representative. He asked PM about Clooney being the ’50’s singer, Nick Noble. The rep said PM replied he didn’t think so. He said PM wasn’t definite! That’s good enough for me.

So I apologize for maintaining the info I read and heard from now, unreliable sources, that Nick Clooney was a professioanal singer.
    Unless I hear/read otherwise from solid, trustworthy insiders, I’ll recant my statement.

30. Medicine Ball Exercises said on December 30th, 2010 at 10:41 pm

My partner and I really enjoyed reading this blog post, I was just itching to know do you trade featured posts? I am always trying to find someone to make trades with and merely thought I would ask.