IUC World Exclusive: Maclean’s Refuses to Retract Cover Story on Cirque founder Guy Laliberte

Posted on June 18th, 2009 by HisHighness in IUC:Entertainment, IUC:Exclusive

IUC has learned Canada’s most respected magazine, Maclean’s, is refusing to give into Cirque du Soleil founder Guy Laliberte’s demands to retract the cover story based on my new book, Guy Laliberte:  The Fabulous Story of The Creator of Cirque du Soleil.  Many of my longtime media friends contacted me during the past few days, expressing their dismay at how billionaire Laliberte and his powerful lawyers are attempting to suppress the book.  All of them said the book is extremely balanced and makes Laliberte look more than anything like a saint than sinner.  “What’s he crying about,” a well known Montreal journalist told me yesterday.  “The book is extremely fair.  I can’t believe he’s trying to get it removed from bookstores.”  Longtime well respected Montreal journalist Frederic Serre wrote a message on my facebook saying Good luck to you and Turgeon against that blowhard Laliberté bully and his lawyers, Ian! Keep up the good fight!”  Developing…

1. Ms Agatha said on June 18th, 2009 at 8:59 am

Keep up fighting ! This is going to be just a warm up of things to come re your other, future books ! Go Ian !

2. ladybert62 said on June 18th, 2009 at 9:27 am

Maybe he is just complaining to pump up the PR for himself and Cirque? Does he have a new show opening soon that could use some publicity? :P

3. Patty Anne said on June 18th, 2009 at 10:02 am

Patty anne is applauding you for standing up for what is right in the face of adversity….it takes a brave person to do so, many others would just give in and hope it all goes away. Rock On IAN!

4. ladybert62 said on June 18th, 2009 at 11:07 am

Finally – my avatar worked! Hope you guys like it! :P

5. Chris G. said on June 18th, 2009 at 11:28 am

I just hope that Ian legally secured the rights to use the image he did for the cover of the book, because that is the primary claim they are making as to why the book should be pulled:

“It has to do with a copyrighted photo of an acrobat which was illegally published on its cover, next to a photo of Laliberte. This picture, he said, was copied, without permission, from the program of the show, Alegria. The Cirque has requested that the photo be removed — which would require that all copies of the book be returned to the publisher and re-covered.”

I know that all the pictures used in the stories on this site are just taken from Google Images, but I trust Ian knows better than to do that on a for-profit book.

6. ladybert62 said on June 18th, 2009 at 12:05 pm

@Chris G.:
    Sounds like a dastardly lawyer trick to get the book pulled if they can’t get it pulled because of the contents in the book! :D

7. backalleyknees said on June 18th, 2009 at 12:20 pm

@ladybert62:
    your avatar makes me feel serene.

8. ladybert62 said on June 18th, 2009 at 12:22 pm

@backalleyknees:
    Me Too! I am glad you like it. Makes me think of our property in Oregon … and whenever I see the avatar I feel like smiling and relaxing! :P

9. backalleyknees said on June 18th, 2009 at 2:08 pm

@ladybert62:
    I was going to ask if it was from your property! When do you think you will get back up there? My grandparents used to live in Mapleton, like fourty-five (I think) minutes from Florence.

10. Patty Anne said on June 18th, 2009 at 2:10 pm

@ladybert62:
    Very pretty avitar!

11. ladybert62 said on June 18th, 2009 at 2:49 pm

@backalleyknees:
    Hubby is going in July to do more construction work on the property – I think I get to go over Labor Day sometime thereabouts! We love Florence Oregon (about 20 minutes from our property)- do not recall hitting Mapleton YET! :P

12. ladybert62 said on June 18th, 2009 at 2:50 pm

@Patty Anne:
    THank you – glad you like it! Took me mucho time to figure out how to do it – but boss is out today so I played for a while and got it to work! :P

13. backalleyknees said on June 18th, 2009 at 5:21 pm

@ladybert62:
    Don’t worry, if you blink you would miss it. After my grandpa passed my grandma moved to Florence. I remember eating at the A&W there when I was little. And the Sea Lion caves. Mapleton is inland form Florence. I love the dunes in Florence though!

14. ladybert62 said on June 18th, 2009 at 5:39 pm

@backalleyknees:
    The dunes have become quite a tourist attraction in that area (not for us too!) We are near the Umpqua River (about 300 feet away from it actually – above its flood zone). Havent been to the sea lion caves yet (but then there are so many in the SF Bay I see them all the time!). If you go back to visit, you will have to come visit us once we get settled there (in a couple of years probably!!) :P

15. I'm on the bidet said on June 18th, 2009 at 9:52 pm

@Chris G.:
    Sometimes authors will point out an image they want to use, then the publisher farms out tracking down the image and getting permission for use to small contractors. I’d swear I’ve had people calling me from their kitchen to request an image on behalf of an author, for some really large publishers. Still, even if there was some kind of screw-up, who would care so much about an image of an acrobat that they would demand removal? The image owner may be trying to crow-bar some money out of Ian and the publisher with this demand, or perhaps Laliberte is trying to use (what I consider) a minor issue to sink the book.

16. ladybert62 said on June 19th, 2009 at 12:44 pm

@I’m on the bidet:
    Hi Bidet! I agree – I think it is just a ruse to get rid of the book since they cant get rid of it because of the contents! So they complain about the cover! Lame! :P