IUC Exclusive: The Duke was The Queen Of Hollywood

Posted on February 13th, 2009 by HisHighness in IUC:Entertainment, IUC:Exclusive, IUC:Gay

In honor of Valentine’s Day, the first photo I have removed from my
montage is none other than the Duke himself, who, according to the
source who outed him, was “queer as a two-headed trout.”

I first came across the news that Wayne was light in the spurs when I
was staying at a kitschy old out-of-the-way hotel in the Valley
called the Sportsmen’s Lodge. I got to chatting with a long-time
hotel employee who began dishing dirt about some of the famous people
he had come across during his long tenure there. His favorite, he
said, was Bogie who used to tip him with a $50 bill and a Cuban
cigar. His next anecdote threw me for a loop, however.

“John Wayne used to come here all the time,” he recalled. “He was a
pansy, you know.” In a million years, I would have never guessed that
John Wayne, that lovable redneck, was gay. But my source told me
“most of those cowboys were.”

“He used to come by in the afternoon with men to go fishing in the
pond and then they’d take a room and he’d say he was in ‘conference’
and that he shouldn’t be disturbed. We all knew what that meant and
one of the chambermaids told us that she once caught him getting a
blowjob from a guy. But unlike some of the other stars who came by
with men, Wayne didn’t like them too young. His friends were usually
in their twenties or even older, but none of them were famous, at
least not the ones he would rent a room with.”

He had lots of similar stories about other guests, but I’ll save some
of those for another day.

1. Teresa said on February 13th, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Over the years, I had read numerous stories that the Duke wasn’t all he claimed to be. But you have provided more factual backup than I had previously read. Since your definition of “gay” is anything other than straight, including “bi”, I’m assuming Wayne was more on the “bi” side, considering his two marriages and 7 children?

2. Ralph Rimmer said on February 13th, 2009 at 4:42 pm

I knew the Duke and he was more gay than anyone I met in Hollywood. In fact, I worked on a film with him and he was bringing young boys in his trailer for sex every day during breaks. Thanks IUC for outing this American legend who’s actually a total fraud.

3. section9 said on February 13th, 2009 at 4:47 pm

For all that, “Sands of Iwo Jima” was a superb war movie. And yes, I subscribe the the “Wayne was bi” side of the ledger.

BTW, having been to the Sportsmen’s Lodge when in town, I actually think it’s one of the better places in the Valley to have lunch. It’s a nice little place to stay, too. The history of the place is phenomenal.

4. mookie said on February 13th, 2009 at 4:47 pm

no wonder he bonded w/ Monty Clift and Rock Hudson…

5. Sandy Gyllenhaal said on February 13th, 2009 at 4:52 pm

The cowboy in the Village People said he dressed up in honor of The Duke. Of course The Duke was gay. Both his marriages were a total front to keep him in the closet.

6. Gerry T. said on February 13th, 2009 at 5:08 pm

John Wayne and Michael Landon had an affair for six years. Anyone who’s on the inside in Hollywood knows this.

7. Amy Tanner said on February 13th, 2009 at 5:33 pm

YES, YES, YES Finally The Duke is outed. Thanks Ian, you made my life worth living. Having worked with him on six films I can’t believe it took so long to out him. YES, YES, YES – The Duke is a Gay Cowboy.

8. Allie said on February 13th, 2009 at 6:57 pm

I will not share this one with my sainted grandmother, as it may be what kills her!
    IUC, did you ever know that you’re my hero….

9. Kate said on February 13th, 2009 at 7:30 pm

If you guys worked with him why didn’t you out him if you saw proof?

10. mookie said on February 13th, 2009 at 7:37 pm

Maureen O’Hara, his best gal pal, is a known fh.

11. joke is on you said on February 13th, 2009 at 10:31 pm

I have no idea who that is. I’ll have to ask my grandma about him.

12. Alif said on February 14th, 2009 at 3:49 am

Back in the 20th century, there were broad hints about him; esp. from comedians. The thought of it was just too much for our unsophisticated selves to fathom.
    But still, there was the nagging gaydar. He didn’t only work with gay men; he worked with lesbians. That’s what made one more suspicious, even while respecting his macho qualities. But even with the latter, he seemed to me to be a caricature of a real man.
    And in the last few years, his favorite director, John Ford, has been outed by several trustworthy industry sources.
    Maybe it’s time for rednecks to listen to Willie Nelson’s record of cowboys sometimes falling in love with each other.

13. Jillian G. said on February 14th, 2009 at 8:19 am

The Duke was as queer as they come. He used a macho, western image to hide it. Many cowboys will be pissed off at IUC for revealing the truth. Here in Texas a lot of partners in the know hail The Duke as the founder and leader of the Pink Cowboys. Thank you IUC for revealing this.

14. Moody Blue said on February 14th, 2009 at 9:50 am

At least this one won’t sue IH, but he’d better beware of his seven children. They might hire hitmen. :-)

15. Mrs Patrick Campbell said on February 14th, 2009 at 12:24 pm

John Wayne was so un-hot, who cares? Also, many – if not most – fruits also fuck fish and many make babies as well. This is called ‘being in the closet’ and 99% of sissies are in this category. What you see ‘out and proud’ is perhaps 1% or less of all the sissies in the world!

Also, when you say a man is “bi”, it really means that he likes BOTH men AND boys!
    Discuss!

16. Mrs Patrick Campbell said on February 14th, 2009 at 1:12 pm

We want to hear/see more about Michael Landon. Sisters have been whispering for decades that Michael was horse-HUNG!

Discuss!

17. Sonny said on February 16th, 2009 at 9:24 am

So John Wayne was a fruit, eh? Now that’s a good one, pals. Who’s next on your beyond the grave outing list? Charlton Heston? Robert Mitchum? Jack Lemmon? Kirk Douglas? (Oh, sorry, this one is still alive and well.) I can’t wait!

18. Quesa said on February 20th, 2009 at 4:08 am

Re: Kirk Douglas — Sonny, we all know he raped Natalie Wood when she was a teen, so I suppose that puts to bed your hated “he was a fruit” rumor, hmm?

19. Alif said on September 27th, 2009 at 1:42 am

@Quesa:
    Hi!
    With the new format, I came here to revisit the thread.

There’s a bio of Natalie Wood, titled NATASHA. I could look up the author. The author is a woman.
    In it she writes of Natalie’s rape by a big time movie star. It devastated her as she was already under the evil influence of her own mother, who mixed her up with all sorts of scary stories regarding the sexual act.
    But the industry figure was too powerful for her to register a complaint. She was so young that one can only guess how much it hurt her.

An attractive woman once told me that she auditioned for a part in a KD movie. She said he came right up to her and started to fondle her breasts. That did it; she abandoned any thought of a career in Hwd.

Back to the bio: It’s written that Natalie Wood, while married to Robert Wagner, caught him in bed with another man. It led to a quick divorce. She was gay friendly but she trusted her husband re: his straight persona despite the warnings from her mother about RJ. Her mother saw something that the lovestruck Natalie didn’t.
    Years later, she remarried RJ. The book implies she laid down the rules about RJ and other bed partners. He apparently gave his solemn promise it wouldn’t happen again.
    Then came the incident when Christopher ‘Walken was invited aboard their yacht. And Natalie who had a great lifelong fear of water, esp. dark waters, inexplicably went to the dinghy tied to their yacht by herself. It just didn’t sound right to many fans and admirers of Natalie.

Now comes a new book. This time it’s by the captain of The Splendour. He apparently had a guilty conscience all these years and wants to get rid of the guilt while he can. He states that when they found the body of Natalie Wood, there were bruises all over her body that mere bumping into the dinghy couldn’t cause. He said she looked like someone who had been in a boxing ring.
    He further claims that he, RJ and Christopher Walken rehearsed what stories they’d give the law when they were questioned. They practiced telling their stories, so they’d all give the same account, in front of a lawyer, he says.

20. Alif said on September 27th, 2009 at 1:59 am

A friend of mine who lived in western Washington as a young man, told me that John Wayne had a house that was isolated in western Washington state.

He always wondered why. Also that there were no females coming to that place. However there were many guys who did. He said he was in a store when all of a sudden, here’s actor, Hugh O’Brian. He said HO’B called out loudly to JW about whether a certain party item he held should be added to the purchases.

He told me that he then realized that this was not the JW macho guy of the screen. In other words, he was able to separate the celluloid image, the make believe characterizations, from the human who happened to be an actor.

JW did have all those children. Marlon Brando had nine. And he freely admitted to his bi-sexuality.
    There was a world-famous politician who had even more children. Yet he made out with a famous male celebrity at an exclusive club in NY.
    Point is, some men are more sexual than others. And they still remain family men.

21. rmoore87 said on February 16th, 2010 at 6:49 am

Are the “world famous politician” and “famous male celebrity” Bobby Kennedy and Rudolf Nureyev, by any chance? @Alif:

22. alif said on March 3rd, 2010 at 3:22 am

@rmoore87:
    Wow, I came here because it was a slow time at Ianundercover. com
    So I can reply in the affirmative to your question. There are pictures of them walking side by side. I’t’s very telling!
    There were so many sides to RFK’s character. This was a small part of it. He could recite a whole Shakespeare play, verbatim, for example.

But as to John Wayne. I noticed he had had the best looking young, up and coming male actors in his films.
    Actors like Fabian and Rick Nelson. It puzzled me. at the time. Only later, when I saw that lead tv actors were doing the same, and some of them were known gays, or bi, did my gaydar start working.
    Brando’s unabashed admission to bi-sexuality helped me think that married men with many children sometimes do it with other men.

An insider once told me that over ninety eight percent of big name actors swing both ways.

In this day of bios about past stars, there will be more such revelations.

23. alif said on March 3rd, 2010 at 3:26 am

@alif:
    At the time this insider told me this, I instantly thought he must have forgotten to name John Wayne as one of the straights. But he didn’t.

24. alif said on October 22nd, 2010 at 2:04 am

Robert Mitchum was as blunt and honest as they came. He openly declared that John Wayne wore four inch lifts in his footwear, such as cowboy boots.

In the categoryof “more will be revealed”, and alluding to the old timer in the valley who said that most cowboy actors were gay; comes the revelation that the fantastic Steve McQueen fought any rumors about him in a relationship with other men. But a book says he did have such relationships. He fiercely protected his womanizing reputation and went all out to build his cool and romantic one.
    His was a fascinating life. He embraced the message of Reverend Billy Graham toward the end of his life.

When one comes down to it, the cowboy is a myth. It was started by nineteenth century dime novelists who came west and wrote popular fantasies for the entertainment of the people back east. They were so popular that eventually shows were built around them. Buffalo Bill Cody and Annie Oakley were some of the stars who p;articipated in them. And then Hollywood did the rest. The myth became larger than life. But it’s still a myth!

25. Ruby Franz said on January 15th, 2011 at 2:20 am

I think a lot of people who have never been near show business are quick to believe every kind of gossip. I tend to be skeptical. We don’t really know if any of this is true. I get the feeling in reading here that all these people just can’t wait to believe anythng at all about an actor’s intimate sex life. Some of it may be true and probably much of it is not.

26. alif said on June 27th, 2011 at 4:08 pm

@Ruby Franz:
    The celluloid image up there on the screen, vs the human being who acts for a living.
    Too many people who have no agenda, speak up about them.
    I go to “men-only” meetings here where many ex-st;udio workers and others tell their stories. When I mentioned JW, they said they already knew about him.

27. Soshann said on August 18th, 2011 at 12:44 am

I have no difficulty believing Wayne was gay/bi,as often rabid and vehement conservatism is often a means of disguising their true lifestyle.I think his bosom buddy Ward Bond had to be a closet case as well.Bond(also a repugnant conservative)was never,I mean NEVER linked with women,treated his first wife Doris Sellers Childs badly,and apparently only remarried later in life(around age 50 or so)to avoid being outed.

28. Bostoncreampie said on January 12th, 2013 at 4:25 pm

@Mrs Patrick Campbell:
    I’ve watched enough Bonanza episodes and did alot of crotch checking, and if as you think Michael is hung like a horse, I beg to argue that point. Unless he had a hard on, you can’t help notice his dick always hanging to the left in his pants and it doesn’t look all that impressive! He was average and nothing more. Probably hung like a boy. Teenie Weenie.

29. Bostoncreampie said on January 12th, 2013 at 4:38 pm

@Alif:
    I believe what you are saying, I always thought it very peculiar the way she died and her husband didn’t seem to much upset about it. I hate Walken, I think he’s the ugliest more vile character to walk the earth. Poor little Natalie only knows the truth and I hope one day very soon it is found out. I would never have guessed her husband would sleep with men, but back then as probably now, hollywood bigwigs made sure that the men’s sexual lifestyles were kept hidden from public prying. The big name male leads were given wives (who by the way, many themselves were gay, [ Barbara Stanwyk and Robert Taylor]). Hollywood is all a big lie, and still is with it’s undercurrent of secrets and dirt kept hidden away only to be exposed eventually.

30. Josie Abbott said on January 16th, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Seems cowardly that these stars would be outted AFTER they are dead and can’t defend themselves . I believe most of these folks who are so willing to believe anything to tear someone down do so out of jealousy as conservatives try to live up to God’s standards but liberals don’t care. They are open for anything and the raunchier the better. They Have No Morals so take delight in tearing down those who do. Some tried to do the same to Jack Lord and James Cagney just because they weren’t ashamed of believing in God and took their marriage vows seriously. Both lord and Cagney were accused of being gay, yet when asked to offer proof, their accusers did NOT have any.

31. Greg said on August 6th, 2013 at 9:19 am

My friend told me that my hero John Wayne was gay,so naturally i looked it up on the internet,and it seems that he was.Well to be quite honest with everyone,i don’t care,he was a geat actor and he is still my hero,why do some people have Tall Poppy Syndrome and homophobic issues,and if he wanted to keep that fact private,so what!!

32. Magnus said on October 5th, 2013 at 4:27 am

A dear Friend from San Diego once mentioned that Michael Landon “had the biggest dick that I have ever seen on a man.” I have never had any reason to doubt this very good man’s veracity. It is also “known” up here in Alaska that John Wayne often took “fishing trips” with male “friends”…@Mrs Patrick Campbell:
    @Mrs Patrick Campbell:

33. Kevin Smith said on December 23rd, 2013 at 6:57 pm

There is picture of John Wayne wearing “little hot pants” at some Hollywood party in the 50’s. I knew when I saw that pic, he had to be at least bisexual and why not? Sex with men is every bit as good if not better, than sex with women. Maybe lesbian sex is the best of all, but since I’m a man, I’ll never know.

34. Byrd said on December 26th, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I swear You all are out of your mind John Wayne was not gay!! Get a life and quit trying to justify your own deviant behavior by talking shit about a man who is not here to defend himself.

35. Dudley Sutton said on January 1st, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Em….Saying that he didn’t like them young and they were ‘in their 20s or even older’? How young does the author of this article like them? 14? Tool.

36. Stevo said on March 21st, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Whether JW was gay or not, he had a reputation for treating gay men badly. Montgomery Clift swore he would never work with JW again after the way he was treated on the set of Red River.

37. Shannon said on May 23rd, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Really, people…the Duke was “finally outed”, get over it. He was a great actor, who really cares what his sexual preferences were. In that time, most people kept it low key because of the stigma attached to it, sorta like how it is today. Let these people rest in peace. I came across this while searching for his movies…love him still, no matter who he liked to spend his time with.

38. alif said on May 24th, 2014 at 3:06 am

@Stevo:
    I’ve read all of the books on Montgomery Clift. Never saw the quote about him swearing he’d never work with JW again. That would be a memorable quote, if it is to be found.
    Odd that JW had so many gay and lesbian co-stars, if he treated them badly. Clift, in particular, was so in demand in his early career, that it was reported by friends that he had piles of over a hundred unread scripts on his kitchen table. He wouldn’t need to ever want to work with JW again; or even mention it one way or the other.

The screen persona of JW is a MYTH! Just like Valentino, James Cagney, and all the rest. Enjoy them, yes; but it isn’t REALITY!

39. Titen Hd Anchors said on November 18th, 2014 at 4:15 pm

This is a topic which is near to my heart… Take care!
    Where are youur contaact details though?

Feel free to surf to my pahe – Titen Hd Anchors