IUC Exclusive: Bestselling Author Dean Elated to see Black Celeb Wanda Sykes admit she’s Dyke

Posted on November 17th, 2008 by HisHighness in IUC:Entertainment, IUC:Exclusive, IUC:Gay

Wanda Sykes admits she’s Dyke
Sykes wants the world to finally know she’s a dyke and Terrance Dean is having a celebration in her honor. Dean, author of the Essence best-selling memoir, Hiding In Hip Hop, told IUC he’s elated to see Wanda Sykes, a black celebrity, come out of the closet. Dean’s provocative and explosive memoir discussed the down low life of many celebrities, rappers, and actors who live secret double lives.
“How brave and courageous for a black celebrity to finally come out,” Terrance Dean said. “What so many in Hollywood are afraid to do, especially blacks, Wanda Sykes has taken a step foward. This is a milestone of firsts in our community of black celebrities who will be coming out.”
“I have been saying that within the year a major celebrity will be coming out. In my book, Hiding In Hip Hop, I have discussed many celebrities who live secret lives and how we in the entertainment industry know, but the public is unsuspecting. Wanda has taken a giant step and trust me, others will be following.”
At the Las Vegas rally for Proposition 8 yesterday, Wanda Sykes, who stars on the hit show, The New Adventures of Old Christine told a massive crowd of onlookers that she’d gotten married on October 25…to a woman. After divorcing her husband in 1998.
Here’s what she told the crowd:
“I thought, man we are moving in the right direction. And then at about 11 o’clock I was crushed. We took a huge leap forward and then got dragged 12 feet back. I felt like I was being attacked, personally attacked, our community was attacked. I got married Oct. 25. I don’t really talk about my sexual orientation. I felt like I was living my life. I wasn’t in the closet, but I was just living my life. Everybody who knows me personally, they know I’m gay. And that’s the way people should be able to live our lives, really. We shouldn’t have to be standing out here demanding something we automatically should have as citizens of this country. They pissed off the wrong group of people. They have galvanized a community. We are so together now and we all want the same thing and we shouldn’t have to settle for less. Instead of having gay marriage in California, no, we’re gonna have gay marriage across the country. When my wife and I leave California, I want to have my marriage also recognized in Nevada, in Arizona, all the way to New York. I’m proud to be a woman, I’m proud to be a black woman and I’m proud to be gay.”
“I am very proud of Wanda Sykes,” Dean said. “Way to go! How brave and empowering it is to see you stand up, be proud, and speak out. Thank you for being a first in the black community of celebrities. Thank you for being a trailblazer. Now maybe others will take your cue and follow suit.”

1. Tswagg said on November 17th, 2008 at 3:39 pm

At least she had the heart to come out and say that she is gay unlike some of these rappers who go around calling women bitches and hoes when they are the ones bent over taking the donky…I poke fun at them all day.In reality i dont have anything against gay people.Some are my friends and family members.I know its hard being that way.I think all gay people should just come out.Yea…They gone hate but what else is new.People going to hate you whether you gay or straight so…fuck um.

2. Thunderpussgeisha said on November 17th, 2008 at 6:08 pm

African Americans have been the anomaly in gay representation in Hollywood and beyond. This is an unfortunate reality, but I can understand their perspective in terms of being judged and alienating a majority of their ethnic community. I am a East Indian lesbian and my approach has been rather Canadian, compared to American. I am proudly out for over 10 yrs and the reason that I think my experience as an out gay woman has been positive is because of the acceptance and love of my friends and my country – the unconditional love I continue to receive. Sexuality is a private part of our lives, and while some like me choose to wear it openly, some choose to separate the public sphere of their lives from the private. I can totally respect that, but I must say, who was Wanda kidding? My dykedar was buzzing for quite a few years now, much like it does for Missy Elliot and Queen Latifah. Though they are not out, their closet of containment does not fool me. I think that with change, and I mean genuine change into understanding and being educated towards ethnic, cultural and sexual diversity would allow this road to be far less bumpy for the likes of ethnic gay celebrities and people in general. I remain hopeful and regardless of her sexuality, Ms. Sykes is one funny woman!

3. lynn said on November 18th, 2008 at 10:44 am

I do not agree with the lifestyle. I believe in the Bible and it teaches against it. Just look at our body parts. The women’s female organs are made for the male. This is a slap in the face to our Creator. Wanda Skyes is really not that funny and the she probably came out because the black community is really not a big fan of hers anyway. Missy and Queen L will not come out because the Queen will lose that Maybelline deal. Who wants to buy makeup from the image of someone who is a carpet muncher. She would lose the deal in a heartbeat.

4. Conciet said on November 18th, 2008 at 12:03 pm

5. Conciet said on November 18th, 2008 at 12:05 pm

^^^the way we live life in general is a slap in a face to the creator.Murderers rapist racist etc.No one sin is greater than the other so….We should all fear judgement day.look at how you are trying to do gods work by passing judgement on others.Thats a sin right there.I hate the bible really.I hate how people pick at scriptures that they can follow and ignore all the rest.

6. Pamela Karan Wilson said on November 18th, 2008 at 3:43 pm

Quite frankly, it’s no surprise to hear Wanda is gay. To each his own. Hollywood makes the biggest deal out of every little thing. I’m sure we all remember the Tom Cruise couch jumping episode that quickly spiralled from innocent romantic gesture to a perceived spastic whack attack. Ellen Degeneres was the “brave, courageous” one by coming out years ago and risking the success of her sitcom, and its ultimate demise. She single handedly opened the door for other celebrities to come out, should they decide to. It’s nobody’s bloody business what another person’s sexual orientation is; black or white, gay or straight. We’re all on the same level in a spiritual sense, so who gives a shit?

7. Thunderpussgeisha said on November 19th, 2008 at 3:15 pm

First of all, not all of us were raised with Christian ideology, so get that right. Secondly, for me all religion preached love, charity and discovering oneself in the truest capacity. If you are that starkly homophobic, maybe you should realize that the biggest icons in Christiandom, including many of the marvelous masters like Michelangelo, were homosexual. Bigotry breeds hate, hate breeds ignorance and ignorance is not bliss. I do not hate you because of your sheltered views to look beyond your own experiences.
    We are all free to be who we want to be. Maybe you should read the Bible again realizing that it has been translated over generations and filled with propaganda to breed hatred against differences. I don’t think that is what the true word of god ever intended.