IUC Exclusive: McCain admits he made “grand error” of his political career choosing Palin

Posted on October 16th, 2008 by HisHighness in IUC:Exclusive, IUC:Politics

McCain admits he made huge error hiring Palin
A senior RNC member revealed to IUC today that John McCain has privately admitted that he made a grave error choosing Sarah Palin as his runningmate. The RNC member told IUC McCain started having second thoughts the day after choosing her. “He said to a few close friends he might have made the grand error of his political career,” the RNC member stated, who added McCain is very concerned about the numerous scandals surrounding Palin the past few weeks. For the latest Palin scandal CLICK HERE

1. section9 said on October 16th, 2008 at 3:19 pm

Look, McCain made his bed, now he has to lie in it.

Your reporting about the Palin/Rice controversy has been superb. Palin has tons of potential, any Republican with a sense for how the rank and file are responding to her can understand that, but she needed a couple of terms as Governor of Alaska to prove herself before moving up the the Big Leagues.

Again, the worst that would have happened had he picked Condi Rice is that the news media, driven on by David Axelrod’s goons, would have chased down Condi Rice’s old girlfriends, and that would have been it. McCain is going to lose anyway, what would the harm have come to him by making a responsible pick versus someone who needed to be rolled out to the country? Besides, I suspect that the Democrats would have run into a backlash had they gone down that road, although I wouldn’t put it past them.

Earlier in the year I had been hoping for Rice if McCain was going to pick a woman as his VP, as he didn’t need to introduce her to the country. Whatever Palin’s attributes, and her innate skills as a politician are there for anyone to see, her drawbacks reveal McCain’s lack of good judgement during this entire campaign. Palin has made it hard for McCain to reach out to the middle, and that’s where this election will be won. Your reporting (as well as later reporting by the Blade) revealed that McCain folded before the timorous souls at the AssClown RNC who were afraid of Condi’s possible lesbianism. He took counsel of his fears, and we have apparently nominated the wrong guy.

All your reporting reveals is rather thus: the problem with the McCain Campaign was never Palin; it was always McCain. Rice was a slam dunk for him, and McCain blew it.

2. JCW said on October 16th, 2008 at 4:10 pm

Palin = Proof things work out the way they’re intended to.

Of the entire field of candidates for the Republican nomination, the only real threat to a Democratic win was McCain. I was rather hoping they’d nominate the Mormon or that asshat Upchuckabee, thus insuring a Democratic president. No… McCain won out, and for a while it looked like there might be a real chance he’d win – ensuring four more years of corporations getting away with murder and the middle class sinking into poverty.

Then, like a gift from God, along came Palin. I can see the appeal – smart, attractive, folksy and a possible appeal to angry Clinton supporters. Her appeal to the low rent segment of the Republican party is undeniable. However, McCain obviously didn’t factor in what a divisive character she is. Sensible people question the wisdom of having a gun-toting, moose-hunting, born-again-creationist-the-Earth-is-flat, anti-reproductive rights individual one step away from the highest office. We’ve seen what happens in countries ran by individuals who seek to govern by their faith – Iran, anyone? The fact that we’ve let it get as far along as it has in this country is some scary shit.

Palin has proved to be a real blessing. Obama may not be my ideal, but the odds of him bringing a badly needed degree of balance back to this country look pretty fair… and balance is what’s needed after the past decade.

3. ASHLEY said on October 16th, 2008 at 5:50 pm

I don’t understand… is he mad because he finally realised how underqualified she is?? I agree he’s made his bed…he should have stipulated that the candidate must have a proficient knowledge of catheter insertion before he hired her.

4. Pamela Stewart said on October 16th, 2008 at 7:23 pm

McCain probably thought that by picking a woman as a running mate he would appeal to a wider demographic and reach out to those who thought he was too old and past it.

Palin is such a bad choice, when she is not being parodied, the focus is on her personal life or appearance. Even here in Canada, in todays’ Toronto Star there was an article about her glasses- optitians commenting on how unbecoming they are and whether they are real or does she only wear them to appear smarter and less attractive. She has that whole sexually uptight librarian vibe going on that movies portray as a common male fantasy, where the glasses come off, the hair comes down, there is sexy underwear under the business suit, and she suddenly becomes a tigress in bed.

Women in politics do have to put up with a lot of this or other kinds of talk such as that leveled towards Hillary Clinton and it is crazy that there is still sexism in politics but Palin is such an easy target.

5. section9 said on October 16th, 2008 at 7:24 pm

JCW, with all due respect, I hear other Republicans arguing “woulda, coulda, shoulda” all the time. The problem isn’t Palin, it’s McCain.

Take a look at his campaign’s progress since he wrapped up the nomination after the Florida Primary in freaking January. He had at least a four month head start on BHO, and was never able to define Obama. He let Obama alone while allowing Barack to put Hillary away. His original campaign structure was grabasticism to the extreme. He had to bring in Steve Schmidt to even make him competitive. In the fall, his attacks never settled on an overriding theme.

Obama has had to do none of that, and by comparison has run a relatively flawless campaign.

Had McCain not been mugged by the financial crisis, he might have had a chance, even with Palin. However, that’s a bit like saying, “Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?”

6. Travis P said on October 16th, 2008 at 9:13 pm

McCain made his bed – yeah, that’s true. In fact, he probably made that decision while lying in bed.

McCain knew he had to pick a woman to counter Obama’s blackness, so he just chose the first one that came to mind.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

Politics are sooooo dirty!

7. JCW said on October 17th, 2008 at 9:19 am

section9,

Allow me to clarify my comment for you. Yes, McCain is his own problem – I’m just grateful he chose to drive a nail named Palin into his campaign’s coffin.

8. section9 said on October 17th, 2008 at 11:01 am

Point taken, and one I understand. I just expected a more serious approach from JMC and a more substantive candidate, like Rice.

Silly me.

9. Jonathan said on October 17th, 2008 at 3:56 pm

I watched John McCain avert his eyes southwards while standing back and viewing Sarah Palin make her acceptance speech. In fact it happened more than once. I was also able to divine his thoughts. Let’s just say it could give a whole new meaning to ‘White House’ if this duo make it that far. And in some perverse kind of way I want it to happen, because the sideshow will inevitably completely eclipse the politics. Let’s not forget – the international community has had 8 years of belly-aching laughter. After George W goes, who will fill the x-large shoes of buffoonery he leaves behind? Screw the grandiose economic plans. Who gives a toss about the war in Iraq. We need comic relief continuity on Pennsylvania Ave, and in John the Mac and his she-Bush, we have struck gold.

10. JCW said on October 17th, 2008 at 4:05 pm

Well, you can’t go around bashing gays for 7 1/2 years and then try and sneak the most powerful lipstick lezzie in American history (Aside from Oprah) into the number two position without expecting the backlash to end all backlashes.

Oops… I just “outed” Oprah, didn’t I? I’d better get busy making flight arrangements to Fiji and getting my bags packed before she sics Gail…er…I mean Stedman on my ass. As Linus says in Great Pumpkin: “I’m doomed!”.

Hey, Your Highness…. can I borrow 10G? Quick?

11. Barack Obama said on October 20th, 2008 at 11:53 am

I love your thoughts! I normally don\’t even bother to leave comments, but I wanted to let you know that you hit the nail on the head!

12. Madeline Barbara Goldstein said on October 20th, 2008 at 1:00 pm

I’m not really convinced that it was McCain who actually picked Palin. Seems to me it was more like Cheney, especially since Palin is just like Cheney… in drag! As a woman, I find everything about Sarah Palin offensive on the very deepest level of my being. She is like the “evil mother” of myth. Except this is no myth. She knows nothing other than how to spew gnats and ugly slime out of her mouth… with a smile. This, to me, makes her even more evil. Reminds me of that song “Smiling Faces.” “Smiling Faces sometimes they don’t tell the truth. Beware of the handshake that hides a snare.” As far as her appearance on SNL. She couldn’t even say “Live from New York… It’s Saturday Night.” She couldn’t even pull that off. Her appearance was both a joke and pathetic. Her candidacy would be a joke and pathetic also if she wasn’t a heart beat away from the presidency. She also has been CONVICTED of “Abuse of the Public Trust” as Governor of Alaska. And she’s STILL on the ticket? America is lost if McCain/Palin get in.

13. Angie said on October 20th, 2008 at 1:41 pm

And he’s just realizing this now? We’ve been saying for months now that she has no clue what the hell she’s doing. If these two are elected into the White House, I’m moving to London.

14. Myles Glaue said on May 4th, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Thanks for posting. Good to see that not everyone is using RSS feeds to build their blogs ;)

15. Marica Comnick said on August 21st, 2011 at 1:34 am

Intriguing post. I have been searching for some good resources for solar panels and discovered your blog. Planning to bookmark this one!

16. Corliss Orsak said on August 22nd, 2011 at 12:54 am

Good! Thank you! I always wanted to write in my site something like that. Can I take part of your post to my blog?

17. Talisha Tanen said on September 1st, 2011 at 7:33 pm

This post makes a lot of sense !

18. Isis Biehl said on September 27th, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Interesting read, perhaps the best article iv’e browse today. We learn everyday cheers to you!

19. insignia ns 46l240a13 said on November 12th, 2014 at 11:14 am

Wonderful goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and
    you’re just extremely excellent. I really like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you are stating and the way
    in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it smart.
    I can’t wait to read far more from you. This is really a wonderful web site.

20. joanne said on November 12th, 2014 at 4:20 pm

interesting. awesome letting skeletons out of politicians closet. McCain can’t blame it all on her though. at least palin made the election easier to watch, he just looked like an old angry white guy. One of the good ole boys.