IUC wants your take on 1st Debate – Who won?

Posted on September 26th, 2008 by HisHighness in IUC:Bits, IUC:Politics

Who do you think won the 1st debate

IUC wants your take on the 1st debate. Please post your comments and thoughts, and most of all let us know who you think won.

1. Dawn said on September 26th, 2008 at 9:55 pm

Barack isn’t as smooth in off the cuff speaking, but he comes across more honest and sincere and the fact that he takes the time to answer the questions from his own base of knowledge is a good sign. McCain is only good at talking about the war in Iraq. That kind of scares me.

2. Devon Jackson said on September 26th, 2008 at 11:48 pm

Strategy or tactics?

Jesus.

I agree with Dawn in that McCain’s constant talk about Iraq and war and all that still scares.

I can tell you who lost: We, the people, yet again.

3. Michael O said on September 27th, 2008 at 3:29 am

I think McCain took it on Iran and Russia while I’d give it to Obama on the economy, Iraq and not looking like a fucking scary old man. 2 to 3 victory for Barack.

4. Eric said on September 27th, 2008 at 7:25 am

This was a pretty close debate. Overall, though, McCain had Obama from beginning to end. If I could score this match, I would hash it up to a 152 to 10 lead over Obama.*

*Score reflects the number of times the candidate failed at life, and subsequently, failed at presenting himself as a viable choice for presidency.

5. Sebastian Fort said on September 27th, 2008 at 12:46 pm

I as an American am pleased to say that yes: I will vote for the Lesser of Two Evils, Barack Obama.

This debate and election has CLEARLY taught me – furthermore – that this world is filled with nasty, conservative, hateful Republicans that must be stopped! I fully despise and condemn them.

(I mean…my boyfriend is a Republican but that makes for well-rounded S&M.)

6. José Orduña said on September 27th, 2008 at 1:36 pm

Wow, I can’t believe some of these comments. Close? The debate was close? Most of McCain’s claims about Obama were gross misrepresentations. How about when McCain claimed Obama opposed supporting funds for troops. That is a purposeful misleading of the American people. Obama came back clarifying that he has opposed funding on a plan that had no time line, a very big difference from what McCain claimed. Did anyone else notice how many times Obama had to say “that’s not true,” and clarify things, and how many times McCain did. Right, because Obama doesn’t have to misrepresent McCain’s past decisions or current policy he simply points out McCain’s stance and argues that it is wrong. And come on let’s look at a very scary and possible scenario. McCain wins, drops dead because he’s a billion years old, and Palin becomes the president. OH MY GOD! Have no fear Palin can see Russia from her house. I feel like I’m taking crazy pills!

7. Alicia Butler said on September 27th, 2008 at 3:26 pm

That McCain even showed up last night is a surprise. That McCain can stay up past 8:00 pm is an even bigger surprise. After announcing to the citizens of the United States, “he might not make the debate as he had to vote on the bailout,” surely, most everyone was sympathetic, as on the day of the presidential election, it is a national holiday, where the American public is not obligated to think of anything but their ballots. Miraculously, he appeared. Based on his response to every comment Obama made, it was doubtful McCain was prepared for his side of the debate. What was most interesting was when McCain was forced to answer a question before the democratic senator, and it was a mystery whether or not he understood all the vocabulary in the questions. His responses were full of contradictions and he distastefully argued with Obama throughout the entire debate. Obama answered every question thoughtfully and with respect to his opponent. After last night’s events, it will be extremely interesting to see how the vice presidential debate unfolds.

8. Dawn said on September 27th, 2008 at 4:34 pm

I don’t mean to be an ageist here, but Alicia makes a good point. My in-laws are only a couple of years older than McCain, and while they are awesome people, they aren’t up to running a country. Old people like McCain need a lot of naps, and medical attention. I know that sounds like I am just being mean and sarcastic, but it’s true. Being president ages a person at almost four times the rate of regular folks, at that rate, McCain will be like 100 in four years and who know just how senile, unpredictable and erratic he might be. McCain is likely a decent man, but he is JUST TOO OLD.

That said, I like Barack Obama. He’s gracious, charismatic and has a very measured way of dealing with issues. We’ve had enough charging in and asking questions later, we need a guy who asks questions and then makes the best possible decision based on the answers. That’s not indecisive, it’s call being smart and wise.

As for Eric’s comment above, all I have to ask is how and in what way has Obama failed at life? The man is a Harvard Law grad and a U.S. senator who made himself a viable candidate for president during his first effort at doing so, all this in spite of the almost insurmountable odds facing him. Seriously, are you on crack or something? Maybe it’s true, conservatives will say and do anything regardless of the facts and reality. Scary, no wonder we are all effed up.

9. Brady Sullivan said on September 27th, 2008 at 5:19 pm

There’s nothing better than two men gracing the stage to see who is the master debater. Ah, thank god I get to dust that joke off every 4 years. It has steadily lost some of it’s charm since grade school, I must admit.

It seems like most people feel like the debate was a draw, but to me Obama seemed like the clear winner. McCain wouldn’t even look at Obama when he addressed him, employing some weird variation of the “keep walking and don’t make eye contact” tactic he probably uses whenever he’s around black people. Oh I’m sorry Senator McCain, is that a tactic or a strategy?

There was one point where McCain was completely ignoring Obama while squinting and craning his neck to look at something in the audience. Either someone was mouthing advice to him or he thought he saw Death approaching. To be fair to McCain, Jim Lehrer was looking rather pale and skeletal.

10. Deep Dish said on September 27th, 2008 at 7:39 pm

So what lessons did we learn from the first debate?

McCain thinks Obama is naive and doesn’t understand anything. Obama thinks McCain is right on a few issues but wrong on Iraq.

McCain was a grumpy old man with a sarcastic, condescending tone. Obama was calm, cool and collected. And why wouldn’t McCain ever look at Obama? Was he afraid that he might turn to stone? Obama tried to directly engage McCain on Iraq but to no avail.

Obama might have come off as too much of a nice guy, but he does believe in tough and effective face-to-face diplomacy–something that McCain seems dead set against. McCain believes in war–bomb now and talk later.

So who won the debate? I think the better question is “who LOST the debate?” McCain, whose campaign has been tanking in the polls in the last week, needed to hit a home run–especially when foreign policy is his big issue. He didn’t. He hit a weak single at best and was called out when he tried to make it to second base. Obama, on the other hand, showed us all that he knows his shit when it comes to foreign policy, which was previously not his strongest subject. He didn’t hit a home run either, but he did smack a ball into the outfield for an easy double. And that’s enough with the baseball metaphors. Obama won the first debate by holding his own against the more “experienced” McCain.

So it was a very good night for Obama. Now on to the Vice Presidential Debate on Thursday, which I’m sure will be even more entertaining.

11. Tinamarie11 said on September 29th, 2008 at 10:30 am

Neither one answered a questions when asked until the 2nd or third time…they were trying to hard to get their rhetoric BS out on a sound bit. They said what they THOUGHT people wanted to hear. These debates are outdated…the questions are prepared ahead of time, but some intelligent journalist who can craft 40 word questions that confuse watchers. The debates need to go back to where the people ask questions and the candidate has to give an answer off the cuff. Not BS what they think they should say, but honest answers.

I think they both sounded great but spewed BS the whole time.