I’m IanUndercover and I approve this ad

Posted on September 19th, 2008 by HisHighness in IUC:Politics

1. Eric said on September 19th, 2008 at 3:01 am

Psh. What’s a wolf? Like some sort of dog? Like some giant Pomeranian or something? Whatever that majestic beast may be, I’m sure once in office, Palin will bring about the eradication of the “unethical aerial hunting” and enforce the much more humane “ethical terrestrial hunting.”

What’s the argument, really? Palin is mean to dogs?

In all seriousness, though, anyone with half a brain knows how disastrous it is to have someone like Palin as your running mate. Palin is many, many things, most of which demand reproach.

However, I would be a hypocrite to admonish Palin’s actions against those insanely adorable wolves. The reason? Well, I eat meat. Everyday. Well not everyday, but you know what I’m saying. There’s no reason to kill any animal, than out of pure, delicious convenience. Now I’m not saying these wolves should be maimed of their resources. What I am saying, though, is that maybe this can be approached differently. If we take advantage of the current Palin-involved Alaskan laws in practice, and allow my aphorisms to be inarguable… then maybe things would work themselves out much nicer.

After all, “if you put a pair of glasses on a dog, it’s still a dog.”

You’re welcome, Defenders of Wildlife Action Fund.

2. aimee said on September 19th, 2008 at 10:07 am

What species does Sara Palin belong to anyway? Palin, a wolf in sheep’s clothing, can not stand to see her doppelganger roaming the great white expanse in her home state, so close, yet so far. So she sends her Eskimo hit squad out there, fat with whale blubbler she’s skimmed off on the side for party favors and favorites, to turn on their ancestors and everything they know to kill the PIG–KILL THE PIG! Did I say PIG–I meant wolf-somehow this made me associate “Lord of the Flies.” Hmmm. Strange. All the while, Palin sits in her eskimo plugged up and plugged in to her ipod, groovin’ to that Dead rendition: “Livin’ on guns, vitamin God and babies.” The final cut pro image here of the lame wolf limply hanging over the aerial is bubkis next to the images of women bloodied and skewed with hangers that we’ll see if Palin gets her hands on Roe Vs. Wade….and I’m not talkin’ caviar here.

3. aimee said on September 19th, 2008 at 10:29 am

correction to prior comment: “Palin sits in her igloo,”….not Eskimo…Freudian slip?

4. aimee said on September 19th, 2008 at 10:31 am

or should it be sits on her Eskimo. She’s got her own love motel or love shack out there in the white wilderness, next to God.

5. Mike said on September 19th, 2008 at 10:35 am

Well, excuse me, but if we were to decide that Palin was a poor VP running mate to McCain for her support of unethical forms of Wolf culling, might we first state that the Presidential candidate to which she is allied is a poor candidate for his support of the Iraq War?
    I don’t really recall animal welfare being a primary motivating factor behind the US electorate’s decision making. Get them on the economy, get them on the fuel crisis, even on health care… but not on the ethics of Alaskan Wolf hunting! Sorry guys, I like wolves too.

6. Lisa Bee said on September 19th, 2008 at 10:48 am

At least Sarah Palin actually hits her targets, which is more than you can say for Dick Cheney. Seriously though, I’m not a hunter and would never pick up a gun, but at least I can understand the appeal—being out in the wild, bonding with your buddies, picking up clues your prey may be nearby. How is shooting wolves from helicopters anything close to that? Why not shoot ducks at a carnival instead, there’s just as much sport involved.

And I can’t help but see a metaphor for her lack of understanding about the key issues our country faces. You know, those little things like foreign policy and the economy. She doesn’t seem to understand them because she has yet to get up close and face them head-on. Waving hello to Russia from the tip of Alaska is pretty far removed from actually shaking the hand of a head of state. Repeating “reform,” “reform,” “reform” is not even close to rolling up your sleeves and looking at what’s seriously wrong with America’s financial situation. But who can blame Palin, really. Her method looks awfully appealing. After all, why put in any kind of hard work, or deal with the blood and the mess, when you can just shoot at your problems from a helicopter and fly away…

7. Tinamarie11 said on September 19th, 2008 at 11:24 am

Everyone is looking at the poor animal side here. Did anyone do research and see WHY a wolf hunt was allowed? And it was put in place years before Palin took office – she didn’t create it.

Here is a quote from Slate.com:

The federal legislation (PDF) does have a loophole for predator control, permitting state employees or licensed individuals to shoot from an aircraft for the sake of protecting “land, water, wildlife, livestock, domesticated animals, human life, or crops.” (This doesn’t just apply to wolves; coyotes and foxes are sometimes gunned down from aircraft, especially in Western states.) Since 2003, Alaska has issued aerial wolf-hunting permits in select areas where moose and caribou populations are particularly endangered. The idea is that by killing the predators, the airborne gunmen can ramp up the number of moose and caribou that human hunters can take home for supper.

So if wolf hunts are eliminated and the population grows out of control, the wolf packs move in to suburban areas. The big bad wolf then starts eating pets left outside because they already chowed through all of the moose and caribou in the area. Now people are in an uproar to kill the wolves. You can’t have it both ways folks!

And let’s be honest here folks, this practice happens in other states besides Alaska. Montana (wolves), Wyoming (wolves), Utah (wolves), Pennsylvania (bears), Colorado (bears), Michigan (coyotes), New Jersey (bears) – they all have allowed various hunts at one time or another to thin out expanding groups. It is only in the news now because Palin is a famous target…if she wasn’t on the ticket for VP, no one would give a lick about Wolf hunts. Just like you don’t care about the ones going on in Montana right now.

8. Jay said on September 19th, 2008 at 11:35 am

I’ve never considered myself an “animal rights,” kind of person but this video left me stunned. I have a theory; Sarah Palin was at one time famous mob criminal John Gotti who after extensive surgery stole the identity of Alaskan hockey mom Sarah Palin. And in an attempt to escape his Alpha Male past has taken to the killing of actual Alpha Males…

Far fetched? Agreed, its more likely that she is simply a gun toting, conservative puppy slayer, who-I feel safe to say-owns a confederate flag and watches faces of death while flinging spoonfuls of pudding at her mentally handicap child. If I sound completely offensive and mean spirited its because I am downright frightened that she could be our next vice president following up eight years of Bush. If the Republicans win the election I’ve lost hope.

9. John Dillon said on September 19th, 2008 at 2:54 pm

Anybody who campaigns against the aerial hunting of wolves and the like has clearly never seen John Carpenter’s iconic remake of “The Thing.” The events of that film would have been easily averted had that Norwegian not-so-sharpshooter been able to tag a husky at aerial distance, effectively saving the life of R.J. MacReady and co. There are a great many reasons to cite Sarah Palin as an abomination of all that is right and good, but preparing us for a situation in which we have to take out a shape-shifting alien dog from a helicopter by encouraging us to practice on Alaska’s cute and fluffy woodland critters is certainly not one of them. And besides– do you really want those bears stealing your honey?

10. Devon Jackson said on September 19th, 2008 at 3:28 pm

Agreed, it shows Palin to be what the makers of the ad want her to be seen as: insensitive, hypocritical, mean, nasty. In a word, a bitch. But these kinds of ads aren’t so much proof of what a horrible vice-presidential nominee Palin is, and proof more of how easily swayed any of us can be by these sorts of ads. I’ll betcha some nasty little emotionally riveting-upsetting kinda commersh could also be dredged up and slung at Obama. It just screams of preaching to the choir: Need yet one more reason to hate Palin? Even better, need a reason for your children to hate Palin? Just look at what she’s advocated! Shooting down helpless wolves from airplanes! I’d much rather see one of a Palin lookalike waving to the Rooskies from that little island of she keeps referring to as her training ground for foreign affairs. That would be both funny and true. And just as scary.

11. Patrick Lind said on September 19th, 2008 at 4:07 pm

Wolves, polar bears, dinosaurs? When will Palin stop? Where will Palin stop? I can see it now, American bombers cruising over Iran shooting innocent civilians on their way to bomb Russia. I can see it now, Palin championing the American public into another senseless war. I can see it now, Palin standing a top a top a podium announcing that drilling has finally begun in the ANWR, effectly reducing America’s dependence on foreign oil. I can see the blood of polar bears, wolves and civilians running out down Palin’s fingertips as she smiles for the cameras. Sarah Palin-the hero of the working class, the idol of Wal-Mart shoppers everywhere, Sarah Palin just a little ol’ hockey mom with a thirst for blood. God bless Sarah Palin, and God bless America!

12. José Orduña said on September 19th, 2008 at 4:42 pm

Although I am not a vegetarian and as Eric pointed out in his previous post it may be a bit hypocritical to criticize Palin on this issue, COME ON! Did you not see this video?! And yes, the killing of any living thing is wrong, but as you get more sadistic and cruel in the manner of killing I think the wrongness factor increases, plus no one eats wolves—except maybe wolf predators. Are there wolf predators? (scratches head) Anyway what really scares me about Palin is what she said her credentials are as far as national security and foreign policy goes. She said she can see Russia from Alaska. COME ON PEOPLE! This is terrifying. I think my sentiments about Palin are best summed up in that now infamous Matt Damon YouTube video. For those of you who haven’t watched it you should, because it’s right on and hilarious. Sarah Palin, if you’re reading this, leave those beautiful wolves alone, and the moose, and all those other furry little sweethearts that roam you’re meth infested state. And while you’re at it leave us the American people alone too.

13. Alicia Butler said on September 19th, 2008 at 7:39 pm

Sarah Palin has now been targeted by left-wing democrats as a vicious killer of woodland animals. However, the 44 year-old governor of Alaska seems to care just as much about her image as she does about her knowledge of foreign policy and, “what exactly the vice president does all day.” Not only does she have a pregnant, unwed, daughter, but now she’s taking down polar bears and wolves one by one. What’s really shocking is Mat Damon’s YouTube video, where he has chosen, for the first time, to publicly denounce a political candidate. Really, Matt Damon? Really. Where were you when G.W. was slipping Sadam a wet one in return for oil at Wal-mart prices? Or when the rest of the United Sates realized the leader of the free world didn’t have a third-grade education? Shame on you, Matt. Shame on you.

14. Brady Sullivan said on September 19th, 2008 at 8:59 pm

She’s probably going to lose that coveted werewolf vote thanks to these kinds of ads. I mean Obama was already getting the youth vote, but now he’s really locked up the Teen Wolf vote.

I hope that after she loses the election Sarah Palin is kidnapped by a crazy billionaire and forced into a recreation of The Most Dangerous Game. Run Sarah! The plane is coming!

15. Jeane said on September 19th, 2008 at 10:42 pm

A wolf had to die to make the point of NOT electing Sarah Palin as our VP. Along with this death is the ability of Americans to discern negative campaigning from real issue. Ad hominem: rest in peace.

16. Michael O said on September 20th, 2008 at 4:50 pm

Question of the day: If Sarah Palin was raped and impreganated by a wolf, would she keep the baby?

17. Tinamarie11 said on September 20th, 2008 at 7:36 pm

The funny thing about that video is that the creators admitted the footage is of scientists using tranquilizer darts on wolves. They shot the wolves with darts, got out, measured, weighed, tagged and took blood samples. Then the wolves woke up. It’s amazing how you can spin something innocent to look bad…

18. Jamie H said on September 22nd, 2008 at 3:17 pm

Figures.

19. Max said on October 31st, 2008 at 5:05 am

Hi – just wanted to say good design and blog -

20. Venessa Listen said on May 4th, 2011 at 9:56 am

Nice post! You truly have a wonderful way of writing which I find captivating! I will definitely be bookmarking you and returning to your blog. In fact, your post reminded me about a strange thing that happened to me the other day. I’ll tell you about that later…

21. Samuel Gambaiani said on August 25th, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I’ve been checking your blog for a while now, seems like everyday I learn something new :-) Thanks

22. Haywood Rochin said on August 27th, 2011 at 7:33 am

I would like to say “wow” what a inspiring post. This is really great. Keep doing what you’re doing!!